Sunday 28 September 2014

But I'm RedPeg!

People often ask me how I came about the name RedPeg.
Well, here it is,
It was during the very early stages of my transition from Sculpture to Jewellery,
I was running a little cafe and the owner wanted to revamp the place, give it a new name, a new style.
He asked me to come up with something.
I played around with a few ideas......
It was always going to have Red in it. Anyone who knows me, knows I love Red.
Some early logo designs.

I was scribbling lots of different things in my note book and sketched a peg, a normal old clothes peg. I coloured it red.
Thats it!!
RedPeg!

I even came up with a bit of a gimmick in the lead up to the cafe's official opening by sneaking up on people and pegging them.
Attaching a peg in passing, that they'd find later, when they got home or when someone said, "hey you've got a peg on your back". Surprising them and leaving them wondering how it got there.
The pegs were dyed red and stamped with the words, "RedPeg you've been pegged"
A slogan I still use today!
While this random pegging was happening around town a huge Red Peg had been installed on the facade of the building and the red fit-out was happening inside.
People were anxious to know what the RedPeg was and when it was opening.

RedPeg cafe turned out to be a pretty short lived affair, while I did have a number or loyal regular coffee drinking customers the owner wanted to move on to another project and sold the premises to another young starry eyed couple. So, down came the Big Red Peg.


A write up in the local dining guide.


I took it home and we attached it to the external wall of our house, right outside my studio.
My Eco friendly studio............You can see where this is going, right..?
My RedPeg Eco Studio.

You can just see her poking out the top of my Sunflowers.
My studio is the window to the left.

So that's pretty well it.
I love Red and I'm fond of Pegs, simple, aesthetic, timeless,  little objects that they are.
Also, I should tell you that a peg in jewellery terms is  a small wooden extension that clamps on your work bench to make it easier for you to saw and drill on.......
Here are some examples, Jewellery pegs on Pinterest
It has been said, you can tell alot about a jeweller from their bench peg......

So anyway, what I really wanted to ask you dear readers is, what do you think of the name,
RedPeg Eco Studio?
Im looking at turning this hobby of mine into a "proper" business, which means registering my name officially as  a business and all the other whohaa, that goes with being a business. Yay, tax stuff. Fun!
Ive been thinking for a while to drop the 'Eco' bit.
Yes, I use eco friendly work practices and only recycled silver, but does that need to be in my title?
Its more of a descriptive word that I'd use to describe my work, in say a blurb or promo, I think.

My idea is to drop the Eco and say Jewellery.
RedPeg Jewellery Studio.
What do you think?
I'd like to keep the word 'Studio', as I'm always going to be working out of said space and first and foremost, that really is what I am, a studio based jewellery maker. (cant quite call myself jeweller, because  really I am still a sculptor who makes jewellery).


Honestly, the reason for this post came about over the weekend.
I was completely taken aback while searching RedPeg in my facebook feed, to find that there is, in fact another RedPeg Jewellery page.

I wonder how this person came up with the name RedPeg???



This is her present resting spot.
Shop 3/104 Carp street, Bega.
Pop in if you are ever in the area.













2 comments:

  1. I love the story of how you came up with the name Gab! As far as dropping the Eco goes Hmmm. Some people actively seek out re purposed, recycled, earth friendly 'eco' products and services. Of course I don't know how this translates in the world of jewellery but is it something that sets you apart or is it commonplace practice? The name Red Peg Eco Studio leaves me with no doubt as to what your ethics are, the Eco tells me about you... KWIM? Thats just my off the bat initial thought for you to ponder ( if you haven't already )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question Tammy.
    Your right, people do actively seek out recycled and eco-friendly these days.
    Australia does mine Silver all over our beautiful country and most of it is exported overseas. In the last few years it does seem that most of the raw material suppliers in Australia are only dealing in recycled sterling silver, so , yes, lots of jewellers and makers are only using recycled, it not like Im the only one.
    Yes, your also right that my name lets you know my ethics straight up, but it doesn't tell you what I do, what I make.
    To add Jewellery into RedPeg Eco Studio, so, "RedPeg Eco Jewellery Studio" is getting a bit long and too wordy, I think.
    Yes, much to ponder!

    ReplyDelete